Friday, January 8, 2010

Jump

I stood before the circling blades
with terror in my eyes.
I'd faced some horrors in the past,
but this would be my demise.

The blood was surging in my veins,
cold sweat ran down my face.
My heart was pounding in my chest,
my legs were locked in place.

The awful sound of those whirling whips
was all that I could hear.
My vision clouded with the weight
of anxiety and fear.

The cold eyes of my surrounders
commanded my retreat.
I wanted to leave, to turn, to run,
but I could not move my feet.

The adrenaline drained from my body.
Any hope I had was gone.
I was a fool for coming here.
How could I have been so wrong?

While running through my follies,
a curious thing occurred;
deep inside me, just beneath my gut,
a fire began to burn.

I let go of my self-deprecations
as the the fire spread into my chest.
I looked around, and now could see
I was no more scared than the rest.

The two firmly holding the handles
were smiling, not leering, at me.
Gently they twirled their hands around.
We were teammates now, we three.

And the crowd I once thought so menacing,
upon second glance, seemed kind.
They were only five, and their friendly eyes
invited me to take my time.

My attention snapped back to my body
as the fire barreled into my head.
Then a hush fell across my universe
as a small voice spoke. She said:

"You mustn't lament poor circumstance,
don't feel guilt you've gone awry.
The only thing expected of you
is to give an honest try."

With that, I woke from my reverie,
and, newly filled with hope,
stood tall, and without looking back,
leapt into the jump ropes.


kvogel 1.7.10

No comments:

Post a Comment